Saturday, September 11, 2010

Not Long now!

Less than a month till Brook to Beaches and I am both excited and a little stressed about getting everything done for the paddle.
Wednesday I thought I would take my Dad and Nephew (Benny) out in the Canoe for some training that got them out of the house and on the river. Aberglasslyn to Belmore Bridge was chosen as the trip - 13 Km looked like a good solid paddle in the canoe particularly with an extra body on board. When we got to the river it was evident that it was still flowing pretty hard but I thought that would be good assistance with the trip. Well about 10 minutes in I came around a bend and realised that we were in trouble - it was a tight bend and the water was running hard towards the bend and there was an overhanging tree to top it off. I lent on the oar hard to bring the Canoe around just as Dad and Benny panicked and lent hard away for bank (fair enough with the tree branch I guess!) well in an instant we were all in the drink, which is all good fun except that Dad isn't supposed to get water in his ears after lots of problems and surgery over the years. Luckily everyone had on their PFD's (except the bloke insisting that everyone have one on that is - oops) and we drifted the upturned canoe to shallower water to tip out the water. Needless to say we arrived 2 hours later wet and cold but all OK. Dad still hasn't refused to paddle with me and Benny reckons "it was the most fun he has had in a long time - except for Poppy Gettin Water in his ears of course"
Thursday I hit the water again - this time alone with the YAK - and did Aberglasslyn to Morpeth which is 26 km. It was a nice paddle although it was drizzling/ raining most of the way. It was good to stretch myself a bit more and I must start paddling each day that I am off (as well as cardio at home on work days) I reckon to be fully prepared.
I am finding the cardio during work days hard as I now have an hour each way to travel to work and it is knocking me about more than I expected at the moment. I am sure I will get used to it though in time.
Anyway only one more day of work to hit up before I can get on the water again. See you soon
Phil

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laugh. Do you mind if anyone paddles along with you on any of your legs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg
    Sorry for the late reply - what legs did you have in mind.
    Phil

    ReplyDelete