Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Elerslie paddling


Today I got up with the intention of paddling from Elderslie to Luskintyre which is approx 20km according to my calculations.
Well I awoke at about 3am to hear that it was absolutely pouring!! Later at 7am when I crawled out of bed it was still raining solidly! Great this will be fun. Anyway as time went on (and as I procrastinated) the sun came out and the rain cleared. Woohoo!
When I arrived at Elderslie the sky was clear but it was blowing hard! Oh well I'm here now I think so hit the water. Luckily the weather was kind and I didn't get the wind straight into my face till the last 1.5Km which was nice.
Overall I managed approx 8km/h average over the length of the paddle which I am happy with. I even managed a max speed of 13Km/h at one point but I suspect that this was with a large tailwind through rapids (not much chance of me propelling the little dagger that quick on my own I am afraid!)
On the sponsorship front a big thanks to Marine Matters in QLD that have kindly donated an epirb to ensure that if things go bad then help will be at hand. Thanks Russo and Maureen - I am sure Sue will sleep much better each night knowing that I will return at the end of each day.

2 comments:

  1. Phil good to read you are gradually getting the package together, keep up the good work mate. Richo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dodge
    It is all starting to gain momentum now with some quality people getting involved. It is great to have to keep updating the poster with new sponsors at the moment!Thanks for the encouragement mate
    Phil

    ReplyDelete