Thursday, October 7, 2010

Bengalla Bridge to Denman



Today started out cool and overcast so I thought it prudent to put my cag (wet weather paddling jacket) on straight away. I only got a few spots and then the sun came out which was pretty exciting – so exciting that I took a photo of the blue skies!
Yet again I forgot to turn the GPS on straight away so I was guessing a little as to how far I had travelled but it was a rough enough estimate to gauge how I was going. I was happy to settle into some paddling early with a mixture of rapids and tree obstructions. It never ceases to amaze me that a river can gain speed over rapids and then make a 90 degree turn but this was to be the order of the day. I was pumped at one point with my progress and confidence in the rapids so much so that I was singing the “Fully Loaded “ advertisement to myself when all at once I rounded a bend and saw that a new set of rapids head off in another direction straight for an undercut bank! I remember capsizing at this point in training once before and promptly ejected myself from the kayak in time to avert imminent crashing sounds!! From fully loaded to fully ejected in about half a verse – never mind no good busting myself or the new Yak and I am sure that whoever wins the kayak expects it to be in one piece not in two like the ad!
That said I managed a nice steady 6km/h average that allowed me to enjoy the journey while still making progress. I keep reminding myself to do this as I probably will not get the chance to paddle the river in its entirety again in my lifetime.
The leg turned more difficult as time went on with rapid after rapid and fallen tree after fallen tree for the last 5km or so meaning that I was constantly in and out of the Yak to drag it around/ over obstacles.
Mental note – It’s not just about the destination but the journey too
Looking forward to some more challenges with over 30Km to cover to get to Jerry’s Plains tomorrow afternoon. From memory more rapids (some biggins too) and even some wire ropes to avoid so should be fun
Phil

5 comments:

  1. haha! GO the fully loaded man!

    I can so see you doing that! Is that why you wanted to borrow our fan???? =]

    For those that haven't seen the Fully Loaded Ad from Cambells soup, here's a Youtube Vid of it :)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLIIKrJ6nnI

    Great to see you're getting some enjoyment out of the trip, or is it the onset of Sea Sickness?

    Keep up the great work Phil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your next mission, should you choose to accept it..... is to be the SOLO MAN!

    Can we come see you off @ the launch. The banks of the Hunter River at Maitland might be good for that!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mJSOaO7cAU&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil nice to read you are able to enjoy the experience as you continue on your journey.

    Good to follow your progress mate. Richo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your doing a great thing there Phil, following your trip with Great interest

    cheers

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good stuff Phil, sounds fun & interesting except for the capsizeing stuff. I am not a fan of cold water. Have you needed to cut your way through fallen trees with a tomahawk?
    Paddle on.
    Greg

    ReplyDelete