Sunday, October 17, 2010

Brook to Beaches finishes in style

Sorry about the slow update but Brook 2 Beaches is finished. I finished on schedule on Saturday the 16th of October in weather conditions that pretty much summed up the trip - Challenging!
The night before we probably got an hour sleep with winds gusting to gale force and awnings flapping and my little Jayco groaning and shaking in the high winds. It wasn't a pleasant night and at 4am hadn't got any better.
The forecast was for extreme weather warnings at Newcastle and when I got up and checked the Harbour it was apparent that it was too dangerous for inexperienced paddles. I rang Brett from Lake Macquarie Kayaks and cancelled the scheduled paddle so that people would not be put at risk. Some were disappointed but those that came to the finish line agreed that we had made the right decision! A couple even thanked me for not letting it go ahead!!
Brett is much more experienced than me in these kind of conditions - i like flat water and so does the Necky! He kindly offered to paddle with me and I (and my family) are so grateful! Thanks mate I'm glad I didn't have to hit this one up alone!
The harbour was a mess and I don't know how big it was but it was well outside my comfort zone that is for sure. The Necky did OK in the challenging conditions but it is definitely outside it's design brief! I was taking on a fair bit of water from all sides and struggling to stay in a straight line but i wobbled and struggled my way through the Harbour! Brett in his Ocean Kayak made it look effortless and revelled in the conditions - I want one of those boats - not to mention his talent in a Kayak! He runs coaching so maybe I can get some of that ability later!
Anyway my luck , ability and or divine intervention ran out a couple of meters from the shoreline at Horseshoe Beach when I caught and then fell off a wave coming around the corner to the beach. Brett was a champion and towed me a little and I managed to drag the Yak the last little bit up onto the beach were a devoted group braved the conditions to cheer my cold, wet and tired self! Thank you everyone who braved the elements to see me finish my epic journey. I was well outside my comfort zone at many times during this trip but it has been a trip of a lifetime!
I have no pictures at this point in time but there were plenty of photographers there so bear with me. The Kayak (donated by BLA) and prizes donated by Brett at Lake Macquarie Kayaks were drawn and will be posted / delivered in the coming days.
Brett and I will be organising a new paddle day - were a sheltered spot can be used for families etc. to sample kayaking in the near future so stay tuned. Coming up is the wrap up and photo's of happy recipients.
The Necky has handled everything thrown at it and has impressed with it's versatility. For a 13 Foot small touring Yak it has coped with rapids,skinny water, touring and even very lumpy stuff!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats Mate, a truly great effort

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grant
    thanks mate - it is so good to have fineshed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet it is, I cant wait till this time next week and I have knocked this Hawkesbury Classic over too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Phil for finishing your epic journey. The wind could not have been any worse for you I struggled to keep my truck in the lane on the highway so it must have been a real challenge on the harbour. You have done a great thing for CQ and I am sure it will be put to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on you Phil. I'm sure your efforts for raising money & awareness for Camp Quality have been well worth it.
    Garry Fitzgerald

    ReplyDelete