Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day 5 Jerrys to Maison Dieu




Heartbreak Hotel
What a tough day today turned out to be. We had to pack up the camper so Sue could move it to Singleton before I could paddle so I felt like I had done a day’s work before I started. I was making reasonable Headway, although paddling into a strong headwind till I got to the Power Station.
It was here that things took a turn for the worse. As I headed in I had intended to get out and carry the Yak down over the wall that has been constructed to provide a head for the river pumps but as I approached it looked pretty straight forward. Sure the water was flowing strongly and it was deep but it looked like it was a clear path around the wall. What I couldn’t see was just around a turn was some large boulders directly in the path of any kayaker silly enough to be still be there! I knew I was in serious trouble and jumped out but the water was too deep and flowing too hard to make any real difference to the inevitable. The yak hit broadside on a large rock in the middle of the river, closely followed by me. The Yak filled with water quickly and began folding around the rock. I had my own problems with a wedged ankle in the rocks but at least I had my head above water. After some scary moments I managed to get my ankle free and tried to budge the Yak. I managed to lift (not sure how – probably adrenalin) and once started the water started assisting in the lift of the nose of the Yak. I was devastated that it appeared that I had destroyed the Yak only a third of the way into my paddle but I persisted to free the Yak (after an hour of grunting groaning and being tossed down the rapids a few times.
The paddle (the leash broke the bungy straps it was attached to), my lunch and my drinks were gone but I managed to get the yak free.
Eventually I decided I would push on and walk (dragging the now empty yak) to the next causeway which I thought was about another 6-7 Km – I had some new cuts, bruises and had managed to twist an knee but I was still in one piece. While dragging the yak I found my lunch, 1 small water bottle and eventually the paddle also.
The Yak has sustained a couple of creases on its side but to the necky’s credit she has proved herself to be tough and is still tracking true. I am so sorry to those that expected a nice newish Kayak. I am not sure whether people want raffle ticket money back but in the Yaks defence I went on to paddle another 30Km today in her and she never missed a beat. Please let me know what you think as I really wanted to hand this thing over in pristine condition.
Anyway the next 30 km continued to test my mental and physical abilities as I paddled into a relentless headwind to reach my destination at Maison Dieu (just shy of Singleton). When I arrived at my pick up point, which was a challenge in itself, I was stoked to find that the Milling family had come to help me disembark and load the yak onto the roof. You guys are absolute legends I don’t think I could have loaded it without you and Dad today. P.S. The hot chocky was an absolute godsend too! I have now managed about 140Km and will be past half way by tomorrow afternoon.
Bruised and dented the Yak and myself will push on towards the sea.

5 comments:

  1. Strewth, that sounds like a close call!
    Glad it turned out all right for you, get stuck in to the anti inflammatories tonight, your going to be very sore tomorrow.

    Dont worry about the yak, she still paddles well, you'll get there. As for the condition of it for a raffle prize, in my opinion, its value will be in what it was used for, not how good it looks!

    cheers

    Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have no concerns about the marks on the Necky Phil as your well being is more important mate.

    best wishes for a continued safe journey. cheers Richo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Andrew and Dodge. Yeh it was a bit of a close call but probably a good wake up call to treat the river with a bit more respect and apply my old rule of "if in doubt get out!"
    I think the necky will be OK she is tracking as true as ever and hasn't shown any real hint of it misbehaving after about 65km so all is good i reckon. I was absolutely shattered till I recovered the boat and she popped back into shape. Phil

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Phil,
    Your paddle is certainly tougher than the tame, little one I am doing.
    Sorry I wont be able to make it up there next week to have the final little paddle with you to the finish. All the best to the finish for this great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you had a hard day. The Necky seems to be getting a good test too. Money back for raffle tickets I wont want money back & I dont think anyone else will eitherI consider it a donation anyway.
    keep it up glad you are ok.

    ReplyDelete