Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day 6 Arriving at Rose Point Park Singleton




Gday
Happy to announce that we are back on track for Brook2Beaches! The Necky is paddling straight and true and even though I was a little more sore today than previously we were back in the saddle and covering some Km's today again. It was another tough day with plenty of sore muscles/bits combined with a headwind the whole way.
That said I passed the halfway mark to Newcastle today which was a real highlight for me!
You can really start to see the river changing over these 169 km were it was all rocks and overgrown the river is more sandy and even has some width and water about it now (most of the time). The paddle today consisted of long open stretches of water with a howling headwind joined by tight water with lots of obstructions and small rapids. Only small ones that posed little danger- which was nice after yesterdays effort.
We move the van again tomorrow so it will be another full on morning!
On the money side we have now cracked the $5000 - I know it only says $600 on the camp quality site but that is only the tally of donations made in that way so thanks to all who have donated and dug deep. If you wish to donate there is still plenty of time and you can be assured that all the money goes to kids and families dealing with cancer in the Hunter Valley. If you have been thinking of donating but haven't yet let me encourage you to do so - It would be great to make it $10,000 to help bring some cheer to sick kids that is for sure!!
We have sorted our Internet problems so we should be blogging every night from now on if all goes well. Gotta get some sleep another 33Km to do tomorrow
Phil

3 comments:

  1. We are now reading more anxiously here! We were concerned when the updates suddenly stopped and were wondering what was happening. Very glad you have passed the half way mark and are mostly OK. Did your EPIRB go off when you were in the water salvaging the 'Yak'?
    I suppose it would be more complicated with someone else paddling with you but when we Google Earth each stage of the 'brook' it looks like a very long and winding ride to be by yourself all the time. Our thoughts are with you and Sue. M and R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half way mark is always a great milestone. I put in at Hexham today & thought of you immediatly battling the headwind. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mareen and Russo
    sorry for the sudden stop of updates - we have had some technical difficulties and lost a day. You are right about it being a long windy way and I have felt the isolation at times. I know Sue and the Folks have been pretty woried at times. I haven't heard anything about the epirb going off - I am sure the resue mob would have called Sue or my phone if it had. I think Russo and I decided to not get the water activated one which is just as well. the isolation is a two edge sword I like it but you feel it (vunerablt) at times to.
    Greg Half way is cool - the headwind has been a pain - let me know if want to link up at any point but personally I wouldn't choose to paddle in this weather (lol) best bet is my mobile
    Phil

    ReplyDelete